- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8-10 canned or bottled oil cured anchovies, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 bay leafs
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Tbs hot red pepper flakes, add more if you like it hot
- 1 cup white wine, Riesling
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 quart chicken soup stock
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian Parsley
- 1 Tbs salt
- 1 Tbs black or mixed whole pepper
- 1 Tbs fresh or dried rosemary leave
- 3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- Just about everything type of fish works in Cioppino but these are the ones we like best:
- 1/4 lb. medium shrimp
- 1/4 lb. scallops
- 1/2 lb. firm white fish, chopped in 1 inch pieces (cod, catfish, grouper, turbot, halibut)
- 6 oz lump crab meat
- 6 oz. fresh clams or 2 cans clams in clam juice
Heat olive oil to medium and add garlic and onions after about 3 minutes mix in the anchovies.
Add wine, vinegar, then add tomato sauce, basil and add bay leafs
Simmer about 20 minutes then add the lemon juice.
Add the fish, cover and cook about 7 more minutes.
Take 2/3 of the mixture and put it in a blender to completely liquefy the ingredients and then add back into the completed soup
Serve the Cioppino with fresh, toasted Italian bread
And most importantly is the Wine; Serve with the same white wine you made it with in this case a nice dry Riesling. If serving more than 4, then get 2 bottles of wine!
This recipe serves 6 to 8 people.
Cioppino is an Italian fish soup that warms your soul anytime of the year and, this recipe can be served hot or cold