- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8-10 canned or bottled oil cured anchovies, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 bay leafs
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Tbs hot red pepper flakes, add more if you like it hot
- 1 cup white wine, Riesling
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 quart chicken soup stock
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian Parsley
- 1 Tbs salt
- 1 Tbs black or mixed whole pepper
- 1 Tbs fresh or dried rosemary leave
- 3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- Just about everything type of fish works in Cioppino but these are the ones we like best:
- 1/4 lb. medium shrimp
- 1/4 lb. scallops
- 1/2 lb. firm white fish, chopped in 1 inch pieces (cod, catfish, grouper, turbot, halibut)
- 6 oz lump crab meat
- 6 oz. fresh clams or 2 cans clams in clam juice
✓ Heat olive oil to medium and add garlic and onions after about 3 minutes mix in the anchovies.
✓Add wine, vinegar, then add tomato sauce, basil and add bay leafs
✓Simmer about 20 minutes then add the lemon juice.
✓Add the fish, cover and cook about 7 more minutes.
✓Take 2/3 of the mixture and put it in a blender to completely liquefy the ingredients and then add back into the completed soup.
✓ Serve: Serve the Cioppino with fresh, toasted Italian bread. And most importantly is the Wine; Serve with the same white wine you made it with in this case a nice dry Riesling. If serving more than 4, then get 2 bottles of wine!This recipe serves 6 to 8 people.
Cioppino is an Italian fish soup that warms your soul anytime of the year and, this recipe can be served hot or cold